Let’s Untangle the Advertising Snarl
Advertising. Remember when it was easy? Once a year the Phone Book Guy called and asked if you wanted to change your ad. Once a week the Local Shopper Person stopped in to get your ad. You didn’t need to know anything about printing or phone book distribution. It just happened. And it worked! Customers came to your business and bought your stuff.
Now you’re expected to know
and a LOT more.
So where do you start with digital advertising?
Here’s why I think your best starting point is email marketing.
- It’s cheap. At $20 per month for 500 recipients, it’s the most economical way to reach customers who want your product. Postal mail at 49 cents apiece would cost $245. Even a postcard mailing at 34 cents is around $195 to send to 500 addresses. And that doesn’t even include the cost of printing.
- It’s really easy to learn. If you can turn on a computer and type a few words, you’ve got all the skills required.
- It gets you more sales. While the Big Box Stores and National Companies are jabbering away and bombarding the world with ads on every available surface (gas pumps? Jeepers), you can inexpensively send messages directly to customers who have already shown an interest in your product. You probably don’t need millions of customers – or even thousands. Your business can thrive by reaching high quality customers one by one or ten by ten.
- It gives you immediate gratification. Email blasts give you real-time information on what’s important to your customers. You can see which of your emails customers open, how many click through to your website, who forwards to a friend, etc. This is a direct way to determine their interests.
- It’s timely. You can boost your slow times with customer reminders. For example, if you remind customers in summer that you do furnace maintenance, you’ll fill up your calendar during the off season, save scheduling hassles during the busy fall and winter and generate revenue when it’s needed.
- Your email can be automagicallly posted to Facebook, which saves you time by allowing you to use one topic to cover several outlets
Of course, I encourage you to use all the traditional marketing methods that work for you. But if you’re hesitant about entering the digital advertising realm, start with email marketing. I can help.
Why email marketing is not spam.
How do I get a list of contacts for my email campaigns.